Monday, September 22, 2008

Bring on the honesty

I love honesty. Brutal honesty is okay too. That's why my feelings weren't hurt during a recent trip to Target. That's when I ran into Jennifer, who is a friend of a friend. She greeted me with a hug (mainly because she knows that I am not a hugger or huggee). Following the hug Jennifer asked me how I was doing. "Fine," I said. "No, you look like you need another hug," Jennifer said, and then gave me another what I thought was a really long hug. "You look so tired."

Well, all right, I thought. I guess I need to look into taking better care of myself. I guess that means going to bed sooner, drinking more water and exercising. I'm willing to bet that regular exercise will help me in many areas, both physically and mentally. I think I needed that little run-in with Jennifer to awaken me (no pun intended).

I have to admit, I have not been taking very good care of myself. I have allowed a bump in the road of my life to drag me down. I've been eating horribly and not taking very good care of the gift that God has given me. And since I'm a firm believer in signs, I believe Jennifer's words of honesty were a sign for me.

While I attempt to change my ways, I'll remember a saying in a gift that my sister gave me: LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS . . . IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

No comments: